Grilled Portobello Caprese Salad
There is nothing better than fresh grilled vegetables, especially when they are seasoned with just the right herbs and spices. In this recipe I use loads of fresh organic basil because the taste and health benefits are endless! Here’s the skinny on the beauty of basil….The French call basil I’herbe royale (the royal plant) and I couldn’t agree more. This green herb is a great source of calcium, potassium and vitamin C. Some tests have shown that basil has a salutary effect on people’s outlook and disposition. Many other cultures value basil for its ability to relieve intestinal pain, bloating and diarrhea (hello flat belly!). Basil’s essential oil has been found to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria such as listeria, e. coli and staphylococcus. So when you enjoy this caprese salad this Memorial day you can be confident that you are serving your friends and family a delicious gift of health. Buon appetite!Print Pin Rate
- 8 portobello mushroom caps, thinly sliced long ways
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced into 4 rounds
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat grill to medium-high flame.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing.
- Slice Portobello caps so that you have 2 mushroom caps.
- Brush dressing on to Portobello mushrooms and whole tomatoes.
- The key to grilling Portobello mushrooms is making sure the grates are clean and brushed with oil right before the mushrooms go on.
- Grill Portobello caps and tomatoes for approximately 7 minutes on each side or until you reach desired doneness.
- Slice grilled tomatoes into rounds carefully with a serrated knife.
- Place one sliced mushroom cap on each of four plates, and top each with some basil leaves. Stack another mushroom and 1 mozzarella slice onto each. Layer more basil and top with sliced grilled tomato and garnish with basil chiffonade (thinly sliced basil).
Serving: 1salad/stack | Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 14g