Mama's Homemade Granola
Mama Lydia came up with this great homemade recipe. I love to eat it for breakfast but also as a snack that's low in calories and hearty.Print Pin Rate
- 3 cup uncooked, old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup dry coconut shreds, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup raw organic honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup gogi berries (optional- you can use any dried fruit you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 225°
- In a extra large mixing bowl, combine oats, coconut shreds, wheat germ, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.
- Toss ingredients thoroughly.
- Combine honey and coconut oil. Add to dry ingredients and mix well
- Next add cold water a little at a time until the mixture is crumbly.
- Pour mixture into a large baking sheet which has been coated with cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly to edges of the pan.
- Place pan on middle oven rack and bake for 1 ½ hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add slivered almonds and bake for another 30 minutes, or until mixture is thoroughly dry and golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and mix in gogi berries and cool.
- Put granola into a tightly covered container or zip lock bag. Store in a cool dry place.
- Serve with fresh fruit and milk (soy, almond, rice, or coconut milks all taste great with this granola).
Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g