Granola Ginger Baked Apple Parfait
These make a fabulous Christmas morning treat to go along with an egg white fritatta or they make a delicious, healthy and festive Christmas dessert. I use rich and creamy Greek yogurt from Voskos (available in most grocery stores). Originally from Southern Living magazine.Print Pin Rate
- 4 large Golden Delicious or Jonagold apples
- 4 1/2 oz lowfat granola
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup cherry preserves
- 1 (8-oz.) container Voskos Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut apples in half, cutting through stem and bottom ends.
- Scoop out core and pulp, leaving a 3/4-inch shell.
- Cut about 1/4 inch from opposite side of apple, forming a flat base.
- Stir together lowfat granola and next 3 ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into apple shells, pressing to gently pack.
- Arrange apples in a 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Pour cider around apples in pan.
- Bake at 375° for 25 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender, basting twice with pan juices.
- Place apples on a serving plate. Add preserves to pan juices, and cook, over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve apples with warm sauce and Voskos Greek yogurt.
- Note: Baking times will vary greatly due to the ripeness of your fruit. Begin testing for doneness by inserting a wooden pick directly into the fruit (not granola mixture) after 25 minutes of baking. A wooden pick should be able to pierce the fruit easily with just a little resistance. Overcooking will lead to the fruit losing its natural shape and becoming mushy.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g