Freedom! Not just freedom to light fireworks and live in a free country, but freedom from fats and calories and freedom to shamelessly run around in your swimsuit!Print Pin Rate
Reduced Coconut Milk
- 2 13-14 ounce cans unsweetened light coconut milk
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/3 cup cups organic coconut sugar (available at Wholefoods or Asian Markets)
- 3 large eggs
- Seeds scraped from 1 split vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup reduced coconut milk (see above), room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon reduced light coconut milk (see above), room temperature
- Seeds scraped from 1 split vanilla bean or 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted (for garnish)
- 1 usa pint weight organic blueberries
- 1 usa pint weight organic raspberries
- Bring coconut milk to boil in large deep saucepan over medium-high heat (coconut milk will boil up high in pan).
- Reduce heat to medium low; boil until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Transfer to small bowl. Cover; chill (coconut milk will settle slightly as it cools).
- If the reduced coconut milk has lumps place it into a food processor for about 20 seconds to smooth out the consistency. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F.
- Line eighteen 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and coconut oil in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add coconut sugar; beat on medium-high speed until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and occasionally scraping down sides of bowl.
- Beat in seeds from vanilla bean and remaining egg. Add half of flour mixture; mix on low speed just until blended.
- Add 1 cup reduced coconut milk; mix just until blended.
- Add remaining flour mixture; mix on low speed just until blended.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake cupcakes until tops spring back when gently touched and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer cupcakes in pans to rack; cool 10 minutes. Carefully remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely on rack.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Add sugar, 1/3 cup reduced coconut milk, seeds from vanilla bean, and salt.
- Beat on medium-low speed until blended, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Increase to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy.
- Using pastry bag fitted with large star tip, pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Alternatively, top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons frosting.
- Using small offset spatula, swirl frosting over top of cupcakes.
- Place berries in the design of your choice. Sprinkle any uncovered frosting with coconut.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight containers; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Serving: 1cupcake | Calories: 217kcal | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g