Stuffed Yakitori Chicken with Quinoa and Cucumber Salad
No question about it, Asian fusion cooking is the hottest, healthiest and tastiest way to eat. Yakitori is the ancient Japanese grilling style for chicken that is subtle and delicious.Print Pin Rate
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Mirin rice wine (or sherry)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch julienne
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1 inch julienne
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 inch julienne
- cooking spray
Cucumber Salad with Yuzu and Sesame
- 2 medium cucumbers, sliced extra thin
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon yuzu (any lemon juice will work
- To make the marinade: whisk together all the ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- To make the chicken: wash chicken with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Carefully cut a pocket into the side of the chicken breast using a thin bladed knife (I use a boning knife). Place pocketed chicken breasts into a large zip lock plastic bag and pour three fourths of the marinade over the chicken.
- Press most of the air out of the bag and seal tightly.
- In a separate small zip lock bag, place julienned peppers and onion and pour in the remaining marinade. Press out the air and seal tightly.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Remove chicken and vegetables and reserve the marinade.
- Pour marinade into a medium sauce pan, and bring to a boil for one minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Stuff vegetables into chicken breast pockets and close pockets with toothpicks.
- Lightly spray with vegetable oil. Grill over direct medium heat 5 minutes on each side turning and basting with the remaining marinade once half way through grilling time.
- Serve warm over quinoa or brown rice with cucumber yuzu salad. Don’t forget to remove the toothpicks!
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, lightly toss and serve.
Chicken and Marinade: Nutrition Facts per serving (does not include quinoa): 168 Cals, 23 grams Protein, 11 grams Carbs, 2 grams fat Cucumber Salad with Yuzu and Sesame: Nutrition Facts per serving: 33 Cals, 1 gram Protein, 2 grams Carbs, 2 grams Fat
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 4g