German Apple Flax Pancakes
They might look decadent but these delicious, fresh baked treats are naturally good for you (like always).Print Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup egg whites (about 8 large egg whites)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cored, halved and thinly sliced green apples
- 1/4 cup Z sweet (a fantastic natural sweetener you can find at Whole Foods)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- To prepare batter, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, baking powder, flax seeds, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine egg whites, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- To prepare apple mixture, coat bottom and sides of a 10 inch ovenproof skillet with cooking spray.
- Combine 1/4 cup Z sweet, cinnamon; sprinkle half of mixture evenly over bottom and sides of pan. Arrange apple in an even spoke-like layer in pan.
- Sprinkle apple with remaining sugar mixture.
- Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until mixture bubbles.
- Slowly pour batter over apple mixture.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 (do not remove pancake from oven); bake an additional 13 minutes or until center is set.
- Carefully loosen pancake with a spatula. Gently slide pancake onto a serving platter.
- Sift powdered sugar over top. Cut into 6 wedges; serve immediately.
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g