Christine Avanti's Old Country Pasta Penne Arrabiata
You can make this as spaghetti or penne as shown here. You just can't beat homemade pasta with a rich meaty sauce. If you haven't had turkey as your meat sauce, you are in for a surprise. It's all in the saute which I shall now demonstrate.Print Pin Rate
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 2-3 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper omit if you do not like it spicy
- 1 26-ounce jar pasta sauce I love Classico spicy red pepper
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb whole-wheat spaghetti or your favorite pasta
- fresh basil, chopped into thin strips
- Heat oil in a large saucepan; sauté garlic, spices, salt, and onion for 2 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Next add bell pepper and mushrooms, sauté for 4 more minutes.
- Add pasta sauce and bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add parmesan cheese and stir into sauce before serving.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- For al-dente pasta, take 2 minutes off recommended boiling time. Serve 1 cup of cooked pasta topped with red sauce.
Serving size: 1 cup cooked pasta with enough sauce to be proportional
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 9g