Protein-Packed Bliss: German Apple Pancakes
Tired of the carb-loaded pancake rollercoaster? Say hello to a game-changer! Our German Apple Pancake recipe is here to save the day. For years, I steered clear of pancakes due to their blood sugar rollercoaster effect. But this recipe is a different story. Packed with healthy protein and fiber, it's your ticket to a delicious breakfast without the spikes and dips. But wait, there's more! Not only is it kind to your body, but it's also a guaranteed crowd-pleaser with its fluffy texture and the kind of beauty that belongs in a German neighborhood cafe. Those apple slices? They're the secret to that authentic touch. And they are in season! 🍏Ready to indulge in pancake perfection? Give our German Apple Pancakes a whirl and let your taste buds dance to the flavors of health and happiness.Print Pin Rate
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar or organic cane sugar
- ⅓ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp teaspoon ground cinnamon divided
- 1 cup egg whites (from about 7 eggs, preferably cage free)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 3 green apples unpeeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp confectioners' (powdered) sugar
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, flax meal, sugar, salt, and ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Beat together the egg whites, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and whisk well until combined. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat the bottom and sides of a 10-inch ovenproof skillet with cooking spray.
- Combine the organic sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle half of the mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of the pan. Arrange the apple slices in the pan in a single layer, in a spoke pattern. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon mixture over the apples.
- Cook over medium heat undisturbed until the mixture bubbles, about 8 minutes.
- Carefully pour the batter evenly over the apple slices. Transfer to the oven, being careful not to spill the batter, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and bake until the center is set, about 13 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then gently loosen the pancake from the skillet with a spatula and slide onto a serving platter. Alternatively, if you can flip the pancake and plate it with the sliced apples displayed on top.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar over the top. Cut into 6 wedges and serve warm.
Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Fiber: 4g